In 2012 the government consulted on proposals to make significant changes to the healthcare economy of North-West London, set out under the heading “Shaping a Healthier Future”. This involved the downgrading of several hospitals across North-West London to “local” hospitals without A&E provision, closure of acute provision and reduction or downgrading of specific services. It also promised commitments to investment in capacity of out-of-hospital and community services in order to offset reductions in acute provision.
Two years into its implementation, Brent, Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham and Hounslow Councils established an independent commission under Michael Mansfield QC to review the impact of changes to the North West London health economy and assess the likely impact of planned future changes.
To that end, the Commission is carrying out an independent, evidence-based evaluation of what was set out under “Shaping a Healthier Future” in terms of commitments to investments in out-of-hospital and community services, as well as proposed changes to acute services, and investigating the extent to which the proposals on which the public were consulted have been and will be delivered.
Terms of Reference and Initial Briefing
Press releases regarding the launch and call for evidence
- Independent commission to review Accident and Emergency closures in west London
Monday December 1, 2014
- Accident and Emergency units struggle to cope as independent hospital commission prepares to hear from the public
Monday January 12, 2015
- Dates set for public meetings in north west London health care inquiry
Thursday January 15, 2015
- Public meetings into the future of healthcare in west London to be held this month
Thursday March 5, 2015
- Written evidence – Volume 1 (pdf 13MB)
- Written evidence – Volume 2 (pdf 14MB)
- Written evidence – Volume 3 (pdf 12MB)
- Written evidence – Volume 4 (pdf 10MB)
- Written evidence – Volume 5 (pdf 8MB)
Oral Evidence Hearings – Transcripts
- Hammersmith – transcript from oral evidence hearing (pdf 677kb)
- Ealing – transcript from oral evidence hearing (pdf 777kb)
- Hounslow – transcript from oral evidence hearing (pdf 588kb)
Correspondence with the NHS
Enquiries: Clerk to the Commission – firstname.lastname@example.org