What is Choose and Book?
If you have been referred by your GP for an appointment with a healthcare provider, you may be able to book your appointment with Choose and Book. Most services are available via Choose and Book. You can choose the date and time of your appointment and your GP may be able to book your appointment there and then.
However, you have the right to think about your choices, compare different options and book your appointment at a later stage. If so, you’ll be given an appointment request letter, which includes your unique booking reference number, NHS Number and a list of hospitals or clinics to choose from. In addition you’ll be given a password, which allows you to book your appointment via Choose and Book either over the phone using The Appointments Line 0345 6088888 or log in to Choose and Book online.
Choose and Book will also give you the ability to:
- plan and manage your appointments around any existing appointments, if you are currently undergoing treatment
- fit your treatment in with your other commitments, at home and at work
- choose appointments that fit with your carer’s schedule
- check the status of your referral and change or cancel your appointments easily, either over the phone or online
Speak to your GP about your choices and read the section about choosing a hospital for more advice.
More than 90% of healthcare providers allow you to book your appointment through Choose and Book online or via The Appointments Line. Where this is not possible, this will be indicated on your Appointment Request letter by a picture of a phone next to the relevant provider. You or your GP will then have to book directly with the hospital or service using the phone number indicated on the letter.
More information about how to use Choose and Book can be found in the FAQ section. If you can’t find the answer to your particular question in the FAQ section, or you want to raise any concerns, you can contact Choose and Book:
- via The Appointments Line (TAL) Customer Services line on 01908 259896 (Monday to Friday 9am-5pm, excluding bank holidays).
- via email: firstname.lastname@example.org